From white to more creative solutions, here is a short guide with creative ideas and practical information for whitening the stairwell. Find out more.
The interior painting of a house is an important step in the overall redevelopment of the structure. But while whitewashing the rooms is relatively simple for DIYers, whitewashing the interior staircases can be a bit more complex. The measures to be used change according to the type of staircase.
How to paint internal stairs
- Spiral staircases. For the internal painting of a spiral staircase, the circular steps must be used as a support base. Just use the brush or rollers, then finish the smaller parts and the handrail with a brush of small size.
- Traditional staircase. If you are whitewashing traditional internal stairs, you must prepare the supports that will be placed on the steps, so as to have a firm plane, on which you can climb to work without risk.
- Masonry stairs. When painting the interior of the staircases in masonry, the same type of paint is used as for the walls, such as silicates or siloxane paints. Of course, marble steps do not need to be painted.
- Wooden stairs. Wooden stairs require several steps: from removing the layers of paint, to grouting the wood, to sanding. This is followed by painting with the impregnating agent, and then by finishing.
The cost of painting the stairs
If you want to paint the stairwell, the cost varies depending on the type of paint you decide to use but also depending on the surface to be painted. The white washable paints, for example, range from 5 to 12 euros per square meter, while the colored ones range between 10 and 20 euros. Silicate paints cost between 15 and 25 euros if they are white, from 20 to 35 for colored ones.
Ideas for whitewashing the stairs
If you do not want to use the classic white, but you want a more creative solution, you can play with the colors. In general it is better to choose a colour similar to that of the walls, or an opposite colour, to create a contrast effect. Or you can use two colors, which create a special effect, always without forgetting to match everything to the rest of the house, so as not to make the scale something outside the context. Here are some ideas for whitewashing the stairs:
- The choice could fall on soft colors, such as cream, a turtledove or gray, which soften the appearance. In this case it is better to use a matt paint and choose a colour that matches the colour of the wall.
- In a more rustic house, it is better to choose solid colours and painting systems such as sanding part of the paint or dry brushing.
- A more colourful and creative home, in the interior painting of the stairwell will require the same inspiration. So the green light is given to bright colours, or even to creative motifs that recall nature.
Ask for a free quote now from a professional expert in your area to paint the stairwell.