The circular saw is a compact, powerful tool designed for cutting workpieces from a variety of materials. This can be wood, metal, laminate, plasterboard, plywood, or OSB. Choose 9 table saw blade.
Suitable for construction work in summer cottages and apartment renovation. The circular is indispensable for those who like to do housework with their own hands, as well as for professional builders.
Circular saws: how to choose
When choosing a circular saw, you need to understand exactly what purposes it will serve and what tasks to solve. When looking for a suitable model, pay attention to characteristics such as:
- Power. This parameter depends on the number of revolutions required for specific work, speed, and depth of cut. For simple household purposes, a tool of small (up to 1.2 kW) and medium power (up to 1.8 kW) is suitable, for larger-scale works – from 2 kW.
- Cutting depth. Most often it is up to 60 mm, up to 150 mm – for professional equipment.
- Disk speed. The maximum hardness of materials that can be cut with the selected tool depends on it. The higher the speed, the more power the circular saw consumes and the less likely the blade will jam.
- Disc diameter. The outer diameter determines the cutting depth (up to 350 mm). The inner diameter of the disc depends on the size of the power shaft of the tool (up to 32 mm) – in case of mismatch, an adapter ring can be used.
- Body material. It can be high strength plastic or metal.
- Work at an angle. The depth of cut is indicated at a right angle – this value is considered to be the main one. Sawing at angles of 45 and 60 degrees is used less often, the ability to adjust them provides convenience when cutting in hard-to-reach places.
- Ergonomic handle. Choose the model that fits your hand most comfortably: this way you protect yourself from injury and increase the accuracy of the cut.
- Additional functions. These include:
- smooth start for greater cutting accuracy;
- immersion, when the cut needs to start from the middle of the bar (material);
- the ability to connect a vacuum cleaner to collect sawdust;
- laser mark that forms the cutting trajectory;
- start blocking to prevent an accidental switching on of the device;
- adjustable disc speed and quick braking for increased safety.
Types of circular saws
Circular saws are hand, table, stationery, battery, cable.
Handhelds are ideal for a wide range of household tasks. They are distinguished by ease of use and transportation, compactness, and high performance. When working with this type of tool, the material (workpiece) being cut is stationary.
Desktop and stationery are designed for professional construction work and cutting large blocks. They are distinguished by high power, high precision, increased disc diameter, and many additional functions. The saw remains stationary, the material being cut moves along the blade.
Table circular saws are suitable for precise cutting of materials at different angles. Cutting depth – 40–70 mm.
Stationary models are complemented by a cast or welded bed. The work table is made of aluminum/steel/cast iron sheet, which has a special slot for the disc and ruler guides for convenient and accurate cutting of the material. They have a reduced noise and vibration level and often have a built-in dust collector. Cutting depth – 50–140 mm.
Cable tools operate on mains power and have a limited wire length. They are characterized by high power. Cordless circular saws are battery operated and mobile. They are easy to use and standalone. Often equipped with LED backlighting for easy operation in the dark. The disadvantage is the lower power than that of cable saws.
When working with plunge-cut circular saws, the cutting disc can only be lowered from under the special protective cover after switching on. This improves the accuracy of cutting and positioning of the tool. Cutting depth – 10–75 mm. Used for cutting openings in furniture and other purposes.
Any saw can be fitted with a diamond or carbide blade. Diamond blades are designed for cutting stones, tiles, and ceramics. Carbide discs are suitable for metalworking.